Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week 10 -- Last Email from the MTC!

Best St Patrick's day ever!!! (even compared to those days in Boston...but probably because I never actually went to the St Patrick's day parades while I was there...I'm a horrible Bostonian)

Yes! Thursday we received our travel plans!!!!!!!!! Sister Frolova doesn't understand why this is the most amazing thing ever and why everyone was running up and down the halls celebrating...Sister, we've been here since the beginning of January and this is our ticket out of here!!!! (well, we won't get our tickets till the morning we leave, but still, it was a sheet with our flights, general instructions for flying and weight restrictions on luggage...so pretty general things but we all spent like 2 hours reading the same 3 paragraphs over and over and over)!
Tuesday March 29, 2011:
Delta airlines flight 94 from SLC to NYC (jfk) depart 8:30am, arrive 2:59 PM
Austrian Airlines flight 88 from NYC to Vienna, Austria depart 5:40 PM, arrive 8:15 AM(3/30)
Austrian Airlines flight 661 from Vienna to Kiev, depart 9:45 AM, arrive 12:40 PM(3/30)
So I'll fly to New York with like a whole plane of missionaries, including Sister Frolova, then we split from there...I'll fly with about 6 other missionaries going to Ukraine to Vienna, then I'll fly alone to Kiev. yay. In a week. YAYAYYAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So since this is my last email from the MTC, I thought I'd recap a few of the maybe missed details from the past two months....
1. The strangest cafeteria concoction that I have yet to see and actual been eaten on a regular basis is this: in a bowl, you mix a scoop of peanut butter, some granola, and chocolate milk, stir it all up and enjoy. I have yet to try this and honestly think I'll survive leaving this place having not tried it...(I don't know if I will survive if I try it is what I am saying...)
2. My Russian mishaps....I am constantly mixing the words "to try" and "to suffer" up all the time....Sister Frolova gets a kick out of it...I'll try to tell her "im trying!" and she'll just start laughing and say, "I am sorry I am always making you suffer!". The words are pretty similar... also, during one of our language evaluation tasks on wed nights, it was in a restaurant setting and I meant to ask for a roll, but instead asked for a kidney. Once again, the words are pretty similar. And then the most recent one...I was acting as an investigator for Sister Frolova yesterday and she asked me what I felt when I prayed, "I felt......cancer" I meant to say peace. One letter off. She couldn't finish the lesson she was laughing so hard...oh well. Better to make these mistakes now instead of in the field, although I know there are many more to come...At this point in my language study one of my teachers has advised me to learn to roll my 'R's...I didn't think Russians rolled their r's but they do....so I've been driving Sister Frolova crazy with my failed attempts to roll my R's but she's given me some Russian tongue twisters to work on...fun but embarrassing. That's the beauty of having a native companion. They think its the funniest thing when you screw up, but they know how to help :)
3. Best devotional...they all have been awesome, but the most memorable quote from one that has stuck with me and really changed my behavior is this...in his opening remarks the speaker said something like, "I am going to be up here giving my talk on a few topics, but the Holy Ghost has the ability to teach 2000 different lessons tonight...one very specific one for each of you in the audience, if you are worthy and spiritually prepared to be taught. And it may not have anything to do with what I am going to speak on..." I love this because it has really motivated me to be worthy and ready to be taught by the Holy Ghost at any time a very specific lesson I need to learn not matter what meeting I am in.
4. I didn't really anticipate running into people I knew here at the MTC, but here are the few random acquaintances that I did run into:
-a girl who lived down the hall from me the first two weeks said she knew me...ok? from where....Sunset Squids swim team....crazy! I barely remembered her when I asked her what color cap she wore. Sister um. Sister Thomas maybe...yeah, serving stateside, Colorado I think
-Ben's friend teaches Ukrainian down the hall so he'll stop by and wave sometimes
-Matt Pace from LVA, we had German class together then I remember him going to Germany on his mission. he teaches here now one floor above me (German). When I saw him for the first time last week I stopped him and said, "Hey I know you!" he looked at me kinda funny then said, "Oh, yeah, you're Ben Little's sister!" can't escape it....
-and then one time I was in the waiting area while Sister West was meeting with a District President here and the secretary comes in talking about her lovely weekend in California seeing her grandson get married. she pulls out a picture to show all of us waiting there and I look at it and say, "Hey, I know that kid!!" he went to Berkeley School of Music and was in my ward in Boston...crazy!

5. Hymn that has brought me the most comfort..."I know That My Redeemer Lives" especially the line "he lives, my mansion to prepare...he lives to bring me safely there" I know I am being blessed with safety, health, and comfort from my Heavenly Father.
Well, today was an amazing last P- day, after our session this morning at the temple we were able to do sealing's with our branch president and his wife....so so so beautiful to be part of that and hear that.
I love you all!!! Thank you for your love and support while I have been so close yet so far away at the MTC!!! the next email will be from Ukraine!!!!
Sister Kylie Little

No comments:

Post a Comment